Employer of staff
- The governing body is the sole employer of all staff and for health and safety, they have legal responsibility as such
- Governors enjoy greater freedom to restructure and establish consistency particularly with regard to support staff as a single status employer
- The extended schools initiative and the introduction of Diplomas coupled with the recent workforce reform give individual schools an opportunity to restructure in a way that is suitable for their particular circumstances which may be easier to achieve as a foundation school
- The school is able to take decisions about the appointment of a new headteacher and deputy heads, subject to the implications of granting of LA advisory rights
- If advisory rights are granted the LA has the right to be present throughout the whole of the appointment process.